Jürgen Norbert Klopp is a German football manager and former professional player who is the current manager of Premier League club Liverpool. Klopp is one of the most successful managers in the world but there 10 things you didn’t know about Jurgen Klopp.
1. Klopp was born in Stuttgart,the state capital of Baden-Württemberg, and grew up in the countryside, in the Black Forest village of Glatten near Freudenstadt, with two older sisters.
2. He started playing for Tus Ergenzingen as a junior player, with the next stint at 1.
3. Klopp played his entire senior professional career for Mainz 05, from 1990 to 2001,making him a one-club man from originally a striker, Klopp began to play as a defender in 1995 and he scored 52 league goals.
4. Upon his retirement playing for Mainz 05, Klopp was appointed as the club’s manager on 27 February 2001 following the sacking of Eckhard Krautzun.
5. The day after, Klopp took charge of their first match, which saw Mainz 05 secure a 1–0 home win over MSV Duisburg.
6. He remained as manager for seven years, during which time he led the team to its first appearance in the Bundesliga, and qualification for the 2005–06 UEFA Cup.
7. However, because they were not able to achieve promotion, he resigned at the end of the 2007–08 season,he finished with a record of 109 wins, 78 draws and 83 losses.
8. In May 2008, Klopp was approached to become the new manager of Borussia Dortmund, eventually signing a two-year contract at the club, which had finished in a disappointing 13th place under previous manager Thomas Doll.
9. In his first season in charge, Klopp guided Borussia Dortmund to win the DFB-Supercup, defeating German champions Bayern Munich.
10. Klopp took the club to a sixth-place finish in his first season in charge,and a fifth-place finish in the season after that,before leading the club to successive Bundesliga titles in the 2010–11 and 2011–12 seasons.