5 Things You Need To Know About History Making Senegal Coach Aliou Cissé! Cissé is making history in Russia as the head coach of The Lions of Teranga (Les Lions de la Teranga), something he’s used to throughout his career as a player and coach. Check out these five amazing facts about the young coach below.
1. At the age of 42, Aliou Cissé who was born in Ziguinchor, Senegal is the youngest coach at the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
2. Cissé is the only black manager at Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup.
3. During his career as a player, he played in the English Premier League for Birmingham City and Portsmouth. He also played in Ligue 1 with Montpellier, PSG and Lille.
4. Cissé captained Senegal in the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea where they reached the quarter-finals. He was part of the Senegal team who were the runners-up in the 2002 African Cup of Nations.
5. He played for Senegal national team from 1999 to 2005. He took over as the Senegal National Team head coach in 2015.