10 Things You Need To Know About New Springbok Captain Siya Kolisi! SA Rugby announced Monday morning that Siya Kolisi will captain the Springboks for three Tests against England in June.
Kolisi’s appointment is a big deal as he will be the first black South African to captain the Springboks in an official Test match. A role many think was long overdue.
Here are some facts about the star you need to know.
1. He was born on the 16th of June 1991 in Port Elizabeth.
2. Kolisi is the captain of the Stormers in Super Rugby.
3. He has become the first black South African to captain the Springboks in an official Test match.
4. He is married with two kids. A boy (Nicholas) and a girl (Keziah).
5. Kolisi and his wife Rachel got custody of his two younger half siblings whom he had lost contact with years ago when social services took them into their care.
6. He learnt to drive at the age of 22 when Audi chose him as their brand ambassador. They paid for him to get his driver’s license.
7. His dream was to become a junior school teacher. He stays that dream is still with him.
8. He’s a big fan of The Big Bang Theory.
9. One of his favorite food is umphokoqo . . . a combination of pap and amasi. But he cannot cook.
10. His favorite holiday destination is Australia. He says it reminds him of Cape Town.