Maradona’s ‘Hand of God’ Jersey Makes History As The Most Expensive Sports Jersey Ever Sold. Maradona’s most famous Argentinian shirt, nicknamed the ‘Hand of God’, sells for a record breaking £7.1 million ($9.3 million) at auction yesterday.
The Le Coq Sportif manufactured shirt was worn by the Golden Boy during the 1986 World Cup, for which he scored one of the most controversial goals in Soccer history, and then went on to score ‘The Goal of the Century’ as he dazzled past what seemed the entire England squad to net Argentina’s second.
As part of BetVictor’s sports memorabilia study, we examined the most expensive sports memorabilia sold at auction.
Key Facts about Maradona’s Hand of God Jersey Auction:
- The final price smashed a record for a game-worn jersey set in 2019, when a Jersey worn by Babe Ruth while he was playing for the New York Yankees sold for $5.6 million.
- The previous auction record for a Soccer jersey was Pele’s 1970 cup world shirt for £157,750 ($225,109). The Guinness World Records book claimed this was the most valuable soccer jersey shirt at the time of sale.
- That was beaten last week, with Lionel Messi’s 2017-2018 Barcelona Shirt which sold for £358,177 ($450,000) and then this week with the sale of Maradona’s Jersey.
- Maradona’s HOG shirt is 15 times more valuable than Messi’s shirt, (the next most valuable player jersey) and nearly 30 times more valuable than Pele’s shirt. The original most valuable soccer jersey.
Most Expensive Jerseys sold at Auction in 2022
- 1986 Diego Maradona World Cup Quarter Final vs England “Hand of God” Goal Jersey – $9.3 Million
- 1997-98 Michael Jordan Game Used, Signed & Photo Matched Chicago Bulls Red Road Uniform: Jersey & Shorts – $600,000
- 2021 Tom Brady Game Used, Photo Matched, Signed & Inscribed “GOAT” Tampa Bay Buccaneers Alternate Jersey-Super Bowl Winning Season – $480,000
- April 23, 2017 – Lionel Messi Game-Used and Photo-Matched F.C. Barcelona Jersey From his Game-Winning Goal vs. Real Madrid – $450,000
- 1996-97 Michael Jordan Game Used, Signed & Inscribed Chicago Bulls Road Jersey – $216,000
- June 5, 2008 – Kevin Garnett Game-Used Boston Celtics Home Jersey From NBA Finals Game 1 – $151,200
- 2018-19 LeBron James Game Used & Photo Matched Los Angeles Lakers “Icon Edition” Yellow Jersey – $144,000
- 2013 Kobe Bryant Game Used & Signed Photo-matched Los Angeles Lakers – $134,640
- 2014 LeBron James Playoffs Game-Used, Signed, and Inscribed Miami Heat Home Jersey – $126,120
- 2014 Kobe Bryant Game-Worn Los Angeles Lakers White Alternate Home Jersey – $115,200
Between 2019 and 2020, according to one online auction site, sales of sporting collectibles grew by 142% in 2021 compared to 2020. Various lockdowns across different countries during the pandemic is believed to have increased the number of collectors. The influx of new collectors on the market has drove up the prices of rare and highly sought-after sports memorabilia.