5 Things You Need To Know About Croatia Captain Luka Modric! Modric is on the verge of leading the Croatian team to it’s first World Cup Championship after winning against England in the semi-finals Wednesday night.
But what do we know about this Madrid midfielder? His humble beginnings will inspire you. Check out these five facts about Modric.
1. Luka Modric was born on 9 September 1985. He was born in the village of ‘Modrici’. When he was 6, his grandfather was executed by Croatian Serb rebels.
2. His family house was burned to the ground by the rebels. In 1991, he had to flee with his family from their hometown due to the Croatian War of Independence to become a refugee with his family in the Hotel Kolovare for seven years.
3. When he was younger, coaches said he was too weak and too shy to play football.
4. The Real Madrid star is reported to have a net worth of just over R100 million.
5. Modric is a family man. He’s been married to his wife Vanja Bosnic since 2010 and they have three children together.